As we were discussing the Fog of War and McNamara's role in the blame, I thought that a lot of people were rather harsh on him. I realize that I was not around in the Vietnam era and wasn't exposed to the same media and whatnot but the job of Secretary of Defense is a difficult one with many demands. I also agree with Kennedy's opinion and feel that in declaring war, it is the president's job to do their best to prevent it, yet sometimes they must make the decision to go to war. In the event that war is declared, it is up to the Secretary of Defense to make sure that it is conducted in a moral way.
McNamara did not do his best to ensure the morality of actions taken in the Vietnam war, that much is clear by his seemingly disregard to the effects Agent Orange had. But I feel that since he did make strong efforts to dissuade President Lyndon B. Johnson from declaring war, that his hands are cleaner than President Johnson's.
While some could argue that McNamara did not do all he could have in preventing the President from declaring war, if he had quit or pushed and fought the President until he was fired, then someone even worse may very well hve taken his place. A man that may have been happy to have been a puppet for the President to play with or do terrible things to win.
But as I was saying, McNamara did not conduct the war to the best of his abilities, but the blame placed on him was more than necessary. Can you say you could have done better?
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.