Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fog of War: Post Discussion

The Fog of War gave me an enlightening perspective on the issues that face top military officials faced with difficult decisions. During discussion, a comment that was stated grabbed my attention. It was something to the effect that the class was sitting in a circle for an entire hour criticizing the decisions and actions of Robert McNamara. Who are we as a class to condemn his actions without being put in a similar position? It is vital to understand the situation McNamara was in. Without putting ourselves in the same situation that he was in, we can't gain nearly as much perspective regarding state violence.
McNamara himself would advocate this idea. In the movie he passionately explains that decisions and conduct should not be done without first empathizing with the enemy. If we can put ourselves in the shoes of the enemy, it seems to me that rationality will play a far larger role. Sometimes countries will go to war in a headstrong manner without backing up and gaining perspective on the situation.
We must empathize.
Why does the enemy feel this way? Why did they act this way? Once we answer these questions, we can gain a much needed rationality.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think that this idea of empathy that McNamara brings up is because of possible feelings or remorse? I personally think it would be because when he spoke in the movie about how he had no idea that the Vietnamese people didn't want the U.S. in there and we sort of just boggled at how it could not cross his mind. But if it really hadn't and he could see the benefits of empathy in hindsight after being in a situation where he failed to use it, I could see how that could be why he advocates it so strongly and perhaps shows that he does feel some guilt or remorse.

    I do agree with you on the importance of empathy though and how it could benefit us in future war situations and even if he didn't get to that idea through guilt, I think that McNamara really needs to be heard on that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, Bush once said, "If I was occupied I would not be happy." He put himself in the shoes of the Iraqis, but he could still not justify going to war with Iraq. I agree that we need to empathize with our enemies, but you haven't told me if it is then ethical or not to go to war after wearing another person's shoes. McNamara say rationality has limits and I would argue that we really are not rational based on the 20th Century.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.