After class I did some serious thinking. As Hannah notes below, I did support torture in our class discussion because I thought it would be nice to have a Cheney in the room, but my true feelings are quiet different. I do not like or think torture has been beneficial to our missions abroad, if anything it has become counter productive to torture someone. (media leaks, etc.) There is still this bar hanging out there and we still don't know where the line is. Our class went at each other's throats for almost 2 hours and look where it got us. I think instead categorizing different torture "do's" and "don't's," we could take a hard line approach that was not mention in class and say that torture is never jfully justified, and ban all torture once and for all.
The central question we tried to answer was, is torture justified. I will take somewhat of a simple conclusion and say that we cannot put on theater, water board, or detain "enemy combatants" and not feel guilt of wrongdoing there by undermining the aspects of committing just torture. I say we stay away, no more Gitmos, secret prisons, or international embarrassments! There is an easy way out.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.