Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Saving Liberty

After seeing this I no longer agree that the U.S. should use torture. I think the utilitarian value it provides goes out the window when you see how bad things actually become in the real world. Torture does seem to spiral out of control and travel from place to place. After seeing this film I am going to change my stance on the use of torture/coercion. Before seeing this film I felt that very strict guidelines that basically outlawed many of physical methods and have clear written guidelines handed out to each solider would be enough to regulate the use of coercion. I guess after seeing this I think that coercion seems to turn into torture really quickly. I think my stance has changed to the basic elimination of anything that crosses beyond the questioning a police officer would be authorized to do. I really no longer see the merit in resorting to outright torture or most of the methods currently classified as coercion. These techniques shouldn't be done to anyone they are intrinsically evil. As the video showed small measures often lead to very brutal methods to get results and I just don't think its worth risking the chance of another scandal that will lead to a sub-par investigation. I guess this movie makes me reject the Krauthammer argument because I just don't think you can preserve American ideals while using the methods at these camps. And finally I don't think the Bush administration was right to try and and reconcile the law and the use of torture because it turns the Constitution into nothing more than and ratty piece of old paper that really doesn't protect basic human rights. If that happens aren't we all unworthy of liberty?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.