Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shue's War

War by Henry Shue

Shue’s article is about the justification to resort to war, and it appears that every event of war has a justification from someone’s viewpoint. I keep thinking of the war we are currently in and I remember at first I was in favor of the war because from my point of view, they deserved it because of the 9/11 attack which took many lives from many innocent people. After the war started I began too think of the innocent people who would now lose their lives from our military actions.

On page 738 Shue writes, “Perhaps the single most widely acknowledged specific constraint on war today is non-combatant immunity, or discrimination, which is normally taken to be a part of – indeed, the heart of – the justified conduct of war.” When reading this part of the article it really made me think again of all the innocent people who are killed as a result of warfare. Shue continues in the paragraph with telling us that only military objectives are the combatants and therefore they are the only ones to be attacked. However, how many wars have occurred and the only people killed were military objectives? I can’t think of any wars that did not take the lives of non-combatants, and I think it is impossible to have such a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.