Tuesday, March 24, 2009
LBJ After class
One of the things that stuck with me today both that we discussed in class and what was brought up by Dr. Barry was that of the idealistic politician verses one who must sometimes use manipulative tactics to get things done. It really struck me because I always considered idealism to be a positive thing, not a negative. But then I started mulling it over and started seeing some of the problems with being too idealistic. I mean, we hate the two party system that makes our country seem so divided, and isn't it so divided because people stick too strongly to party ideals and refuse to compromise? Obviously, LBJ wasn't looking for a compromise but he wasn't too idealistic so that it stopped him from resorting to possible underhanded tactics. I think it comes with that "thrill of marginalization" that Dr. Barry brought up, people sometimes get a thrill out of being an idealistic martyr and don't want to actually play the game as it should be. I feel if idealism gets in the way of actual compromise, than maybe sometimes it is better to go against what you really feel to get things done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.