The things that really struck me as bizarre in the Qaddafi segment were that (1) the deception spread fear amongst US citizens to some extent as well as (2) we involved other countries (ie France) who were not directly involved before. I don't know if the deception was justified or not since there really aren't enough details here for me to be convinced either way, but I am not in favor of spreading unwarranted fear. Otherwise I don't think there's much to say on this one other than it all seems kind of bogus because it doesn't look like it was effective anyway.
On Iran-Contra:
This one seems a little more sketchy. The administration appears to be deliberately refuting the actions of Congress, and while Congress is seldom popular (and some would argue seldom right), I believe that they are there for a reason. Deliberately doing what Congress agreed not to appears to be indeed unethical in this circumstance. Not that I think there's anything that we can really do about it, but it really seems unscrupulous.
Honestly, it seems like this plan wasn't even that well thought out. In fact, I would argue that it was downright stupid. There was a lot of administrational bologna that led to a bunch of lies and who knows who was telling the truth or what intent was anymore. And in the end they kind of got caught anyway (another sign that this probably should have been a bit better planned out).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.