Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Affirmative Action
Affirmative Action is quite different from Equal Employment Opportunities, however they both have the same goal in mind, which is to eliminate discrimination typically in employment. My personal experience with Affirmative Action is that it involves an increased amount of paperwork that can add 20+ hours a week to office personnel and a ton of paperwork. As I read Feinberg's article, I was reminded of all that extra work. On page 278, Feinberg says: "In the market argument, a bad hiring practice is one that is inefficient in the long run within the context of a competitive market environment." I seen the end results of a project that had to be completed according to Affirmative Action guidelines, and the end result in my opinion is that the quality of work was not what I had expected it to be, and there was a long list of punch items that took a few years to get corrected, and of course the final payment was also withheld until these item were corrected, which was right I know. That was just the beginning of the nightmare. This is one reason it makes Affirmative Action uncompetitive in the market. The employees and other contractors, suppliers etc., still have to be paid on time, and most companies cant afford to wait that long for final payment. I do believe in equal employment and am against discrimination, however, I disagree with the aspect of dictating how many employees have to be a non-white male in order to fulfill Affirmative Action requirements.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm really glad you included the bit about the hiring market. I'm wholly inclined to try to drive out bad inefficiencies in the market, but at the same time, maybe some inefficiencies are good. Inefficiencies now might mean that we don't have to worry about them in the future. If we can even out the socioeconomic statuses between races, isn't that the purpose of affirmative action? Once that is done, affirmative action goes away. It's a temporary inefficiency aimed at evening out the race divide, and while undecided, it seems like being inefficient might be ok sometimes.
ReplyDelete