I'm probably as sick as anyone of getting into discussions about the pharmaceutical companies everyday instead of talking about the cases, but it's so darn satisfying to be frustrated with them! So, I'm just going to post my latest little diatribe against them on here instead... Ready?
I can understand justifying the high prices of new and complicated drugs as a result of R&O incentives, but I truly doubt that R&O contributes to the costs that these companies incur nearly as much as we'd think they do. I'm willing to venture, but not really willing to research it, that a SIGNIFICANT portion of big pharm's expenses comes from marketing, and that makes my blood boil.
Think about it: Everyday you see as many commercials for prescription drugs as you ever did for politicians last October. And this ad space is not expensive, and doesn't end on TV. Drugs are advertised over the radio and in magazines, as well. Additionally, drug representatives get paid handsome salaries to schmooze doctors into prescribing their pills above others available in the market. These salesmen, with their fancy promotional pens and stress balls, make feel ill.
Even if it wasn't deplorable to charge sick consumers so much to cover a company's advertising costs, it worries me that the pharmaceutical companies are spending so much to influence doctors- shouldn't the doctors prescribe the drugs they feel are best, regardless of who offers the nicest incentives? (Yes!)
Rant over. Please comment. I'm really interested in what other people have to say about this.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your speculation on pharmaceutical companies expenditures is pretty accurate. A report done on nine drug companies by Consumer Health Organization Families USA found that "all but one (Eli Lilly) spent more than twice as much on marketing, advertising, and administration than they did on research and development". (http://www.actupny.org/reports/drugcosts.html)
ReplyDeleteThese practices have plagued the health industry of our country. Our government needs to hold these companies accountable for their unethical practices. If this can happen, affordable health care can be an option for all Americans.
I am. So glad that there is actual data to back up my accusations. Hooray!, and thanks Danny. The fact that TWICE as much is spent on advertising really, really gets me steamed. Those commercials that say stuff like, "Ask your doctor about Whatever," are so frustrating to me, because hello! You should ask your doctor about your SYMPTOMS, not about a specific drug that you want to try because you liked their commercial.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that drug companies are trying to turn their products into the next hip trend, instead of working to decrease human suffering, and it makes me ill. Maybe I should ask my doctor about, oh wait.
Boo.