So the central question I see here is: is adultery a big enough offense that it should travel to the public realm instead of staying in the private realm? I personally don't care. I see three parts to this case. The first, being Clinton had sex with a woman other than his wife. The second, that Clinton used his stature and power to engage in unlawful acts. The third, being that he totally lied to the American people.
I think an affair should stay in the private world. Although I am not proud of Clinton for those acts, they will go where ever he goes for the rest of his life. Paula Jones wanted to bring Clinton to justice for her relations. However are these issues of Clinton and women really significant? Take a look at Clinton stance of women rights. Is there a check or balance there? Olympia Snowe did not like what Clinton did with Lewinsky, although she to came down on the side of acquitting Clinton.
Because Clinton was the most powerful man on Earth, leader of the free world, does his responsibility somehow wash his hands clean? It seems that Clinton has taken his power and used it not always to make formulate policy. But does that warrant him as to not being an effective leader? Clinton should have stayed away from Lewinsky, and the public should have too. But does the fact that he was in a certain position change the rules of the game?
As I have come down on the case of lying before, Clinton was totally wrong and should have suffered some consequence for his perjury. Although Clinton lied, would America be better off if we simply did not let the public know about certain events or issues. Going off of that what if the Starr report was not fully disclosed? Clinton still lied either way but was his effectiveness compromised? There is really now middle ground in lying. A person or politician lies or doesn't lie. When a public official lies I think it is totally OK to find the truth.
The last part I think about is, so Clinton lied or committed adultery, does he deserved to be impeached? Impeachment obviously isn't an option for the crap hitting the fan in the past eight years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just can not agree with a deontological stance on lying. You said, "Clinton was totally wrong and should have suffered some consequence for his perjury." I agree with the second half of the statement; anyone should be punished for lying under oath (even if it was stupid that he was being questioned in the first place *grumble grumble*). However, I don't agree that Clinton was completely wrong. There is some moral credit to be given for shading your personal life when it is irrelevant to your public life. Unfortunately, Clinton was found out. But had he not been caught in his lie, he would have been doing his family well to keep this secret with them.
ReplyDelete