Thursday, April 16, 2009

I feel like I am the only one who thinks that this is a really horrible case. And proof that the libertarian "do it the eff yourself" view is completely ridiculous. A lot of it seems like it could have been avoided if Arizona hadn't been determined to just reject the national Medicaid system and actually considered. Note most other states did not have this problem. I don't like the idea of the government creating sacrificial lambs, the people who needed transplants, for the supposed common good.

Not to say I completely reject the utilitarian view of the greatest number of good by giving baseline health care to the poor. I think that's a great plan and probably could prevent a lot of health problems that could grow and become very expensive. But the fact is sometimes people do get horrible and unpredictable diseases, and even with preventative healthcare, transplants are the only option. I don't feel that it's right for the US, who claims people have a right to life and the pursuit of happiness, should throw people under the bus because "too bad, so sad, they're poor". The ulitilarian argument is usually sensible, but when I think it loses some ground when bringing the greatest amount of good to the greatest amount of people results in not monetary loss but the death of those not in the group.

I think they were sacrificing moral principals for purely economic ones. Or at least some economic principals because there even was a shown argument about how refusing an organ transplant can end up costing the state more. And I don't think the Kirschner argument of the "Titanic" princeple is sensical, those people don't NEED to be sacrificed, the state just doesn't want to spend the money. Not to mention if you're a woman over 18, the principle doesn't even apply to you, so it's a pretty defunct point. I honestly would like to know if there was ever an update about this case, I think AZ really deserved a slap in the face for it. It was a terrible, horrible policy which probably never would have come into question if they had gone with program everyone else did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.