Monday, April 20, 2009

Just a bit more on transplants...

I'm actually learning something a bit about myself on this one... It is hard for me to stay focused on the issue at hand when my beliefs aligned with neither option A nor B, but rather a 'C' option not specified in the article. Essentially the question here is whether it is of more value to save one life or preventatively save many given limited resources. Given my own moral issues with the limited resources, I am finding it very, incredibly difficult to make a decision on which is more important.
Anyway I, as most others it seems, lean towards a utilitarian point of view given the limited resources, and consider it imperative to emphasize preventative care. Actually making either choice in this situation would leave me with copious amounts of guilt, however. Based on our previous readings, one of the stipulations was that one should not really be left feeling guilt having made the best moral decision possible? I couldn't possibly make either decision without feeling guilt; my option C (finding enough money) is the only way I could be left without guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.