Friday, April 17, 2009

Just few more thoughts about transplants

Since our heated discussion about the Arizona transplant issue, I have been trying to work through this problem on a logical basis. I don't like to place people in categories of dollar amounts but it happens all the time. Legislators must make tough decision about how to spend a limited amount of money in the most effective way. I completely understood what David was talking about with some sympathy given to the legislators. Even though the legislators turned down the federal program, does not mean we should just through them under the bus. The federal program has plenty of problems. I worked for the Mayo Clinic legal department last summer and believe the amount of paper work and strict guidelines the federal programs create is amazing. 

One issue that was not discussed in class was Schaller's own personal issues with the transplant program from the beginning. I have to agree with Schaller that the distribution of organs was not fair. Why should someone that gets more media attention deserve the organ more than a quieter person? A program needed to be created that would allow for equal opportunity to receive organs. 

Just a couple more things. First, during the debate I kept thinking about a possible movie idea that relates directly to this subject. The film is "John Q." It deals more with insurance companies but still has many ethical questions. Might make a good movie for us to watch. Finally, for those interested the federal government has released new torture documents, which are very disturbing. The Obama administration will not seek to punish any of the CIA agents because they were just following orders. I know this ties directly to our argument of accountability. Many democratic leaders are furious about not seeking charges. Just wondering about your guys thoughts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.