I recognize that the New Hope Plan wasn't perfect, but I truly believe that it is one of the most promising and proactive distributive justice cases we've studied so far. While I don't like children at all (ha.), I agree that they probably shouldn't be taken from their parents, especially when their parents are doing the best they can. I do feel like that may have been a throwaway comment, though, and am treating it as such. If not, though, that's messed up.
Even if the New Hopers were child stealing maniacs, the strides they made in addressing the real problems causing poverty and proactively addressing them truly impressed me. Rather than throwing money at a problem, or rewarding people for being poor, which is how many view the traditional welfare system, the New Hope Plan rewarded people for doing an honest day's work- even when their employers wouldn't do so. The plan also wasn't mandatory, and didn't replace other social programs, which was especially important since it was an experimental program, and because it certainly didn't suit the needs of all of the state's poor.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.