Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Too far.

I'm not sure if its just my biases, or if the cases in the Gutman & Thompson book tend to have cases where Republicans are in the wrong. This case was hard for me to figure out where I stood because from the beginning I disagreed with Thomas's views, and I'm really bad at separating my own opinions from morality.

I was surprised that the article left out what I found to be a major part of the case. In October 1991 just two days after the leak was made, Dover Publications edited the Executive Branch Paper Doll collection, creating the Anita Hill paper doll. I think that Dover Publications took the scandal to a whole new level.

I believe that sexual harassment is relevant to the position, and that if the allegations against Thomas were true that he was unsuited for the job. That being said, I don't believe that the information needed to be spread as far as it was. Because Thomas was not in a publicly elected position, I would argue that the issue should have been dealt with quietly and privately. The senators involved should have been informed about the case, and perhaps the debates and elections should have been postponed. However, the media should not have spread the information as far as they did; an undressable paper doll of Anita Hill crossed the line.

1 comment:

  1. *Ahem*.... a clarification, here is an email that I sent to every member of our class:


    Hello my classmates, tomorrow is april fools day, and I had this not very original idea but thought it might be funny/fun to do something with the blog. my idea was that everyone would write a post that used a certain word.

    my idea of a word was something with many meanings, and that is obscure but not extremely blatant, and the word I am selecting, because there is little time for debate, is Dover.

    whether you mention the cliffs of dover or dover corporation that makes stencils, or the spanish rock band...it doesn't matter, but I think it would be awesomely awesome if every one of you wrote at least a short blog and threw in Dover, to throw off Sheri

    please?

    Christina





    ...april fools on me. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.