I do not support vouchers because I see them as a means to take funding away from the public school system with minimal results. I guess I can kind of see that parents want an immediate solution but I don't think that voucher's provide that. Instead, I feel that funding should go to the schools to raise the level of education instead of ignoring the problem and shipping kids to other schools. I guess I agree with the two teacher's groups that the millions of dollars could go into the educational system to start improving it for further generations. I feel the issue should not be one based on religion but solely on the legislature seemingly giving up on public schools. I have to reject Representative Williams original claims. In the long run vouchers take power away from public schools to "create a public" and provide quality education and forces parents to move children. In my mind vouchers seem like a first step away from relying on the public school systems as none of the governing bodies acknowledged it as a temporary solution.
I also am not convinced about the "parents choice" argument. I personally do not feel that the public should allow private schools to be responsible to educate students. I think that the government has the responsibility to make sure that vouchers are not needed. I don't think parents should be forced to abandon the system and funds have to be diverted it hurts everyone. I do feel that the entire state should continue to pay taxes for education and that the condition Milwaukee is in is the fault of the entire state. They need to provide a quality education and I feel in this case it could be possible if the state would have used voucher money/taxes there were programs that could have helped raise the quality of the school. I think it would be hard to defend allowing an ailing state school system using any ideology.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.