Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Vouchers One More Time
I think we had a great discussion in class on Tuesday about vouchers but I have one issue that I don't believe was addressed. this issues would be based on how long the voucher system would be funded. I know I would agree with the plan more if I knew that the legislature was only using the voucher system to spare the students who would be affected by a pre-reformed school system. I have begun to feel more and more like change in the city would take more than a year to implement effectively and Rep. Williams may have been correct in offering a change to those who should not have to put up with sub-par schooling as long as someone would have stepped in and assured that it was a temporary solution. I don't like the idea of the money going to private schools but how much time can you let the students suffer in the name of what the state is ethically inclined to provide. Maybe if it would have been clear from the beginning that vouchers were going to be part of a larger vision to save the Milwaukee school district I would have been much more inclined to support it. In fact I am confused why the Supreme Court and the Governor were so confident that vouchers were anything more that a band aid solution a very real and fixable problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This "temporary fix" would have to have a short limit on it, and inevitably I could see it becoming a long-term solution/fix for a failing system. The money would be better invested fixing the school... yeah, it sort of stinks in the meantime, but people need to fight to improve their schools and do it quickly and effectively. That sense of urgency would most likely just increase the speed at which things are accomplished in the school district.
ReplyDeleteI agree Nik, also by offering vouchers I think it is a solution that doesn't work. If we know that students are not getting the help they need in school, simply sending them to a different institution would not solve the root of the problem.
ReplyDelete