Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Vouchers?
As I was reading this case study, I found myself thinking radically different thoughts every couple of pages. In the beginning, I thought, "Yeah, Supreme Court! Legislatures are totally the place to make education choices." But at the same time, I knew that I was essestially opposed to vouchers, but the supporters of the program's excerpts kept winning me over. I was thinking "Yeah, Vouchers! It's not really religious establishment," or "What's the big deal? Parents should definitely choose." But once I got to the AFT's objectives I remembered why I was opposed. $7 million might not seem like a ton of money, but the options the teachers cited they could use that money in other ways and help everyone were really compelling. I also have problems with the voucher system because it helps so few students, and offers very little continuity if lotteries need to be held. I'm also concerned that it may disenfranchise some students, especially those whose parents make just barely more than the income requirement, those whose parents would like to sent their children to private school but cannot provide transportation, or children who have special education needs. Even though it's pretty apparent that the Milwaukee schools are epically bad, the limited impact of a voucher system gives me doubts, as well as a lack of evidence that private schools' students perform better academically.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.