This case was especially hard for our class to keep on topic. In the past presidential election, vouchers seem to be one sides only solution to fixing public schools. Although I may have not seemed warmed to vouchers in class, I think they are less of an evil now. Milwaukee needed creative ideas to get kids educated. I think it was interesting for them to provide another option. The libertarians would like this, however they might not like the overreaching regulations of government.
I see the side of the argument for vouchers, but I still don't think I can support them. They undermine the public culture of education for a democracy. Maybe some kids can go to a religious school and be comfortable, but I still have a problem with the church and state thing. When schools are so bad that bureaucrats would rather give a rain check on their own education system than dutifully support it, I think we have some problems. I am not a socialist, but if private schools are at a higher level than public schools, is it not our public and moral duty to bring public schools up to an equal level? Egalitarianism anyone???
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.