Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What is wrong with people these days!

This title has a reoccurring theme every time I read a new case study. I would like to focus on the liberty of parents finding a school for their child. I have only been on the Amtrak through Milwaukee but I hear it is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. I am conflicted on my standing of this issue of liberty in school choice. If you are a disadvantaged minority family who wants a good education for your child then of course I think yes, give your child a school where they can excel even if that means a private institution. However, why not fix the root cause of the issue of schools not having equal opportunity.

Cretin Derham High School, a private school in St. Paul does not have to admit the student whose parents are refugees from Laos and their child needs a little more help in learning English to excel. A private institution does not have to admit the student who has a learning disability although in this particular case study they do. By picking what students to educate, private institutions have the liberty of who to educate. Public institutions get stuck with needing to educate those less fortunate. Unfortunately, it seems that the Wisconsin government would rather provide a voucher than fix the root of the problem.

School vouchers are not an educational liberty filled ticket. They are a rubber stamp on an unjust system. Let the government take liberty away from lower income families by neglecting their school system. Then let give them the choice for a private school. Thereby forcing them into an unjust paradox, of (1) my child gets an inadequate education because the government has no balls to fix the democratic education system, or (2) the government says I can get a better education, but I must subject my children to ideas they may not believe in. All I hear right now is McCain on the campaign trail exclaiming vouchers, my friends vouchers are the solution." Oh brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.