Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Many Hands

In Thompsons article he gives us the hierachical model, which lays blame on the person at the highest level of authority. In my opinion, this model is partically true because the person in the highest level should be held somewhat accountable for any wrong doing, however they should not be the only person to blame. I feel that the person high on the hierachy is partially to blame because it is their responsibility to know what everyone under them is doing. But they should not be the only person accountable for the action and causations.
From his collective model it seems that everyone involved is to be held accountable, however it does not appear that any one particular person really accepts the responsibility for the actions. In this model it is the bureaucrats that are blamed and nobody is really held accountable for their actions.
I think that structural responsibilities linked with collective action problems should be fixed rather than made into excuses. I think that the article does a good job showing that there is a "problem of many hands" than of determining the problem. However, I don't think that Thompson explains what it means for a person's actions to be the "cause" of the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.