I also liked what Ashley said after I had already moved to the 'yes' side about Affirmative Action only being about quotas in historically racist companies. Assuming this is true, it really makes a lot of sense that other companies would simply be encouraged to seek out minority-type workers. That was another point that really rang true for me: If we force people to look hard for qualified minorities, they will find them out there. And if there is a market for qualified minorities (instead of abundant discouragement), then I think people will step up to the plate.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Affirmative Action Continued...
I mentioned in my last entry that I was looking forward to class to try to figure things out a little better, and I really think I did. I was always leaning towards Affirmative Action, just because it seems like there needs to be something out there to solve the race divide. I still hesitate to continue to institutionalize classification by race where it can be avoided, but for lack of a better solution, this seems like the best way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.