I think that that the fourteenth amendment is right to say we should all be equal, however just because that language is in writing, doesn't mean our society abides by it. It is like our campus posting policy, chalking is a form of vandalism but we don't prosecute student groups for coloring up the sidewalks. It seems like the two sides of the affirmative action debate are totally missing each other.
In theory I think it is wrong to have a double standard for admissions. But, I think it is entirely appropriate in our current double standard of a society. Yes individuals will be impacted, but they must see past themselves toward a better future for their piers and larger society. The other day the group that was for affirmative action discounted entirely the responsibility of past actions. I think that they are totally relevant.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.