Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Feinberg after class

Class was interesting and I was surprised at the different viewpoints we had. One point brought up was the idea that it might be for the greater good to give the money to sort of bribe the richest people to not sue the airlines. This seemed almost utilitarian but I have a hard time believing that a utilitarian would actually see this as for the greater good. I'm not completely utilitarian...I believe it's wrong to give the richest people the most money regardless of whether it's for the greater good. I also really don't think it would be for the greater good. As someone in class pointed out, It's very hard for me to see how it's okay to use tax dollars in this fund to bribe wealthy people so that their airlines aren't sued.
I'm not sure if a fund is the best way to deal with accidents such as these. On the one hand I believe that a universal health care should cover peoples medical costs and everyone should be able to have life insurance to help families after loved ones have died. In times like the 9/11 catastrophe, though, its hard to believe that there would be enough money available to pay for everything and maybe its times like this that there should be an extra fund set up.
As far as who should dictate who gets what, I don't think it is ethical that Feinberg basically got to set it all up himself. There should be some sort of committee with representatives from different political parties and groups. Any one person with so much power is bound to have biases, and I don't think it could possibly be democratic, especially since the public never really elected him with that specific job in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.