Thursday, April 9, 2009

I was very interested by this article because I had happened to be discussing something a long similar lines the other day. The one thing that really hit me was the idea that being forced to be obligated to help people outside of those people you'd be naturally obligated to help is oppressive. The way I see it, we are all part of a society what we, for the most part, choose to live in. Yes, children don't have a choice but once you are old enough, you could make the choice and pull a Henry David Thoreau and retreat from society. But if you don't, I think you have an obligation to give a little to that society and I think you always have to give in the end. Your taxes pay for the uninsured to go to the hospital for something minor, whether you like it or not, and it's more expensive because people don't feel obligated to contribute to a national system and it comes back to bite you in the ass.

And on the subject of prohibitions, I can understand how people see the negatives, but I see it as there is always going to be someone you can sucker and sucker good. Even if some people are willing to sacrifice self-dignity or whatever for the sake of the need to live, some people might not and would be tricked into doing so. And even still, I'm pretty sure there is always someplace you can sacrifice your dignity.

Back on the subject of what I was discussing the other day, was that of the minimum wage in the US. Most of us were college kids who work those level jobs and we know what they're like and we were horrified to find that there were states that had the minimum wage at roughly 2.50 and some states without a minimum wage at all. It might not exactly be wealth redistribution, but I couldn't help think how much of this could be avoided if we paid people a livable wage. I think Washington state has been moving towards this and they have not had any horrifying effects but in fact, it seems to be positive.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you really struck a chord on the minimum wage deal. Ironically enough I was calculating the cost of living the other day, because I'm sure that just obtaining degrees does not reward you with job offers in this day and age, and I was kind of shocked to see the results. Considering I am getting paid now what the minimum wage will increase to in MN, there only is about $100-150 of "wiggle room" per month after college; assuming that I reside in Morris with the same job as now; basically that all other factors remain constant which is quite unrealistic in itself. With all of the new corporate bonus scandals coming out, bailouts up the wazoo, and what seems to be a slow spiral into the red for our economy, it will be interesting to see if this debate comes up during the Obama administration.(And correct me if it already has)

    The concept of redistributing actual wages is an interesting one in itself, because people still are entitled to all of the assets they make, but someone would decide how much they should make in order to meet a certain need of society. However, I see drawbacks in this as well.(and in every redistribution case I guess) It seems the end-goal of redistribution seems to be perfect equality, whether or not the beginning of the movement is or not. I guess it sucks for our generation; better think of a new solution quick.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.