Our discussion of who should be punished for torture in the army--interrogators, commanding officers or policy makers--touched on one of my strongest convictions. This is the conviction that the single most important characteristic of a human being is free will. Although some physicalists will argue that everything is predetermined and that all events in the universe are bound to happen because they are subject to physical and chemical laws, I do not believe this. I believe in free will, and I believe the refined exercise of free will over primal impulses is what defines humans as human, not merely another mammal. In my mind, then, volition is the most sacred of human traits. The worst crime against humanity is to turn a human being into an animal or a machine.
Nic brought up the argument that punishing individuals for following immoral orders undermines the effectiveness of the military. I cannot disagree with this statement. As far as effectiveness goes, the military depends on swift, strict obedience. If every soldier was to make a habit of questioning orders, the military would lose a great deal of effectiveness. However, I do not think the military's effectiveness is as important as preserving a human being's humanity. I have always thought the process of "breaking someone down to build him or her back up," even if it is as part of a team, was monstrous. By doing this, the military deliberately attempts to destroy a person's identity and to subsequently re-form it in the way that is most useful to the military--that is, teaching them that what they want and think as an individual does not matter when compared to the needs of the military and the nation.
This is the greatest possible violation of humanity. Accepting this process forces one to accept the legitimacy of a soldier following orders, no matter how monstrous, because on the aggregate the need for expediency and efficiency outweighs the possible negative effects, such as soldiers being willing to torture. In my mind, though, even if a soldier's orders were always morally sound, soldier-creation as it is practised in the United States would still be wrong. No amount of benefits can excuse the violation of humanity done by systematically seeking to destroy a person's will. No level of efficacy can make up for breaking the single most important aspect of a human being--his or her right to make up his or her own mind.
Civil disobedience is a sacred expression of humanity for this very reason. It is the act of recognizing that no government has the authority in the end to decide for each individual what is right or wrong. It may be right for the government to punish dissenters in order for society to function properly, but it is also right for those who civilly disobey to act according to their own conscience, of their own volition, and stand up for what is right. This is what it means to be human, and it is exactly why I argue that individuals should be held responsible for their own actions. We should not foster a society that teaches people they are not capable of determining what is right for themselves, and we should send the message that those who do not act on their own conscience, regardless of their orders, are committing a crime against themselves, against society, and against all of humanity.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you 100% about what the repercussions are for taking one's free will. I wonder about the effectiveness though of civil disobedience. I am not questioning it as a critic of the argument but rather as that I am worried that there isn't a large enough outlet for protest. Are things too complicated for protest to be effective. Is government to big for civil protest? I am not speaking about traditional arguments about big government but rather that the transition from protest to policy is too complicated of a filtering process. Look at how long it took for the civil rights movement to gain power and make changes. That should have been a clear cut example of right versus wrong, yet it took a long time to get results. Protest usually is stemmed from a definite end of a spectrum and for it to be successful in politics it has to be made more moderate. The army for example probably won't be undergoing many changes at the individual level from low ranking soldiers but if it did would the nature of the need to be gradual and over a large amount of time? I guess I am wondering if we should expect civil disobedience to be successful as a long process and fight for gradual change, and participate within a system that adheres to what Edmond Burke said about change or if civil disobedience could be effective in the here and now? I am not saying either is particularly right or wrong but instead am wondering how we as citizens can try to bring about the type of change without resulting to unjust methods (which I don't agree with)?
ReplyDelete