Thursday, April 23, 2009

Interrogation

First, I just wanted to say that I am so happy Obama s keeping to his promises of releasing documents that otherwise coud have remained secrets from the U.S. citizens for decades. Releasing the Bush memos on interrogation tactics is a bold move and one that I'm proud of Obama for making. Futhermore, he has allowed the attourney general the decision in whether to prosecute the Bush administration officials and Eric Holder has made his stand in saying that "No one is above the law." I am not sure if I agree with Obama's decision in not to prosecute those that carried out the actions, yet at the time the actions were sanctioned, so I suppose I understand. This is a prime example of hierarchical blame.

I understad some of the controversy going on with Obama releasing the records. Some say that it weakens our defense in allowing other countries to know which techniques we practice and which we do not so that they may practice holding out against them. Cheney and Rice say that the records do not show a large amount of information waterboarding provided. Well, why wouldn't the Bush records show more of the positive sides? I think it's odd that the Bush administration wouldn't keep a record of every single piece of information provided by 'interrogation' in their inerrogation memo's. Either way, Cheney and Rice? It's not going to save you.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the argument regarding all the important information we collected being overlooked/missed sounds kind of, well, like a lie. Especially during a time when detainees were being held all over the world, it seems unlikely that no one would have written down the results of the interrogation that was going on to, I don't know, tell the White House or other interrogators maybe?
    Overall, I'm pleased with the new administration's decision to release the documents they have, but I do have some reservations, like Sam, regarding the ability of future prisoners using what we've released to improve their resistance tactics.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.