Organ Transplants
The healthcare system that Arizona established with AHCCCS does fulfill a healthcare system from a Libertarian point of view, which does present problems, because not everyone is treated equally. However, the majority of the population in the United States does not have affordable healthcare coverage. Personally I think that I have to take the Utilitarian approach on this topic, being what’s best for the greatest number of people.
While I don’t have the answer to an affordable healthcare system, I do think that the stand they took in 1987 to eliminate funding for transplants and in it’s place extend the coverage to basic healthcare service to pregnant women and children, is what is best for the greatest number of people. Transplants are for the benefit of one person, and while transplants are becoming more successful, there is still no guarantee that the transplant will take.
I know that I have gone to benefits, and just out right donated money to a specific person or organization (although I do believe in donating more for a benefit) that have some type of illness to help them pay for their medical needs. In fact, there is one in a few weeks for a friend of mine in Lake Crystal, MN that her 8 year old son has brain cancer and they don’t have the necessary healthcare coverage to pay for his surgery, chemo treatments and he will be going to Boston in June to begin radiation for 7 weeks. These type of illnesses do pull on your heart strings and basically, they rely on benefits to help pay for medical needs because the insurance companies do not pay for all the medical costs.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.