Sunday, April 26, 2009

Torture Post Class

I will just say off the bat that I agree with the moral responsibility of punishing those who have order the use of torture by the United States and I think that it weakens the terrorists position when America takes responsibility for illegal actions. Despite this fact I have a problem with what the Obama administration is doing. I think the legal questions are too complex to really come up with a real solution. I mean the Bush administration and all those who created the policy in acting under the assumption that what they were doing did not break the law. We read about how the legal council had approved of the guidelines that limited only very extreme methods. Its hard to punish anyone under such loose guidelines. Not only that that but I also hope that the Obama administration is willing to go all the way with this investigation and stop future administrations from enacting the same type of laws that allow governments to do things like waterboarding a person 180 times instead of punishing a few individuals in an attempt to sweep the issue away. I am not sure what the results of this will be and if it does nothing more then stir up some controversy for a while with no results I will be very disappointed. At this point I feel as if the Bush administration may have been crafty enough to use language that may make this issue little more than legal battle that cannot be won. I guess I think it will do more harm than good if such a fuss is made with no results.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you bring up good points and you did a good job at challenging the what I thought about the Obama administrations actions. You made a spectacular point in class about this that has completely stuck out in my head. I hadn't thought this until you pointed out in class but you are right in saying that what Cheney and Obama are saying about torture is based on their different views on judging morality. I hadn't thought about it that way before and it really stuck with me. What do we do when people are completely disagreeing on an issue because one is taking a utilitarian approach and the other a kantian stance, like Cheney with a more utilitarian view of torture and Obama with a kantian veiw. How do we agree on things when we can't even agree on what is more important the means or the end?

    I do agree with you in this blog post in that it sends a better message to terrorists and future administrations, if we don't let them get away with illegal things and I also think that it is necessary that Obama should go all the way in investigating this situation. It is very important that we stress the point that responsibility for ones actions is important to us.

    thanks for always seeming to make me think nik.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.