Sunday, April 26, 2009
Welfare Post Class
I'm pretty conflicted on this issue. I'm a person that in most of these distributive justice issues tends to take an egalitarian approach and that is what settles with me morally. The problem is that an egalitarian approach is rarely whatever actually happens. I like the idea of things like the project presented in this reading and while there were somethings that bothered me, like taking away children and not helping with substance problems, it was better than what goes on most of the time with welfare. But I still can't help but feel like it is just a bandage put over an infected wound. You make the wound feel a little better, but don't stop what is causing the infection. Getting a better welfare system in a state does not help fix the problems caused by our health care and job system. In fact it might even mask these problems because its success makes people assume that problem is fixed while it is still there and causing more problems. But at the same time I don't want to undermine all the good that the project DID do because obviously it was a better option for most people than the usual sort of welfare that was given out so it was obviously a benefit to those people who got to be helped by it. So it makes me lose hope that the problem will ever be fixed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.