Monday, April 13, 2009
Victim Compensation Fund
I was initially a little disappointed to find out that the rest of the semester will deal with policy decisions, imagining that somehow there wouldn't be as much heated debate. After reading the articles on the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund I was so outraged, I realized this was certainly not the case. Reading about Feinberg made me fume, picturing him denying money for the firemen who risked their lives and have destroyed their bodies to do so. What made me just as furious was the man who felt he deserved three million dollars to maintain his lifestyle to pay for his $5,000 monthly mortgage, even if it meant that the "dish washers" didn't get any money. I can understand the idea that he lost that potential income when his wife died, but the fact is, those people washing dishes are giving their hard earned wages to pay for this man to live his extravagant lifestyle. It seems like the opposite of Robin Hood, stealing from the poor to give it to the rich. I also understand it can't be as simple as just giving every single person all the money they need. However, it seems to me that the people who are suffering the most should receive more money than those who just have to give up luxuries. I was bothered by the fact that Feinberg, who spends his evenings going to operas and dinner clubs, is the one deciding who should receive funds. He clearly has biases, and I believe it is completely unethical that he is giving 80% of the money to the richest 20% of the victims. It's true that there is a limited fund and that not everyone can be fully compensated for their losses. The issue to me is how the money is distributed. Those who are still able to support themselves on their own incomes should simply not receive more money than those who cannot. Those who must pay the most medical expenses should have more help than those who have few medical costs. The table that Feinberg uses to determine compensation seems completely skewed to benefit those who have the least need for compensation. The other issue, I think, is that I don't think that 9/11 victims should be the only ones to receive this sort of compensation. The VCF seems like a way to avoid having to compensate for injuries unrelated to the attacks. I believe the people who plead for Feinberg to help them as well after other bombings and accidents have every right to complain. Universal health care, I believe, would be a more appropriate way to help with medical costs, and perhaps a fund to help family members of victims who died in accidents should be available for circumstances outside that of the 9/11 attacks. I understand that's a lot of money, but if it were distributed properly I for one would be happy to pay my taxes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.